We all think that we'll get around to doing these things, but did you ever notice that when you don't do things right away - they never get done? Try to do all of these items while waiting for the movers and you'll be happy that you did.
1. Change locks. Spares could be floating around anywhere.
2. Hide an extra key in a lockbox. Thieves look under flower pots.
3. Reset the key codes for garage doors, gates, etc. The former owners might’ve trusted half the neighborhood.
4. Test fire and carbon monoxide detectors. Who knows when the last time they were tested. Definitely install them if there are none.
5. Check the temperature on your water heater, especially if you have young ones, so it won’t accidentally scald. Manufacturers tend to set them high. The best temperature setting for hot water is 120 degrees.
6. Make sure motion lights and other security lights have working bulbs.
7. Put a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and each additional floor.
Source: Excerpt from USA Today by Robin I. Flanigan